No positive affirmations or long, bubbly soaks can do what a jewelry overhaul can – it feels like the ultimate act of self-care! There’s no better way to add retro glam to an outfit than by topping it off with a statement jewel with a story to tell. And unlike rings or necklaces, wearing earrings requires some level of commitment. If your ears aren’t pierced like ours, then let’s face it – we’ve found it hard to find brands catering to us. That’s where the many options for Etsy vintage clip-on earrings come in. Since they were commonplace during the Victorian period and until the mid-20th century, vintage clip-on earrings abound.
Since we’d gone down the no-piercing road, we found Etsy’s stylish options a great way to adorn our lobes on different occasions. So, what are you waiting for? Read our detailed guide to the best vintage clip-on ear baubles we found on Etsy.
Lisa Gruver Designs Three Pairs Of Vintage Clip-on Earrings
Three earrings are always better than one, aren’t they? Check out the Lisa Gruver Designs Three Pairs Of Vintage Clip-on Earrings. These vintage stud earrings from the 1980s are in excellent condition, and we could hardly believe that they date back to an era when we weren’t even born! These three earrings feature a comfortable clip-on closure, and their size is perfect for peeps with all kinds of earring preferences. While one of them is a white pair, the other two are beige and slate blue in color. So, we could match them with a variety of outfits, whether simple or elaborate ensembles. What we loved best about them, though, was the slightly gold rim on two of them, which screamed glam.
- This is a pair of three earrings at an affordable price.
- They’re versatile.
- They’re comfy with a clip-on closure.
- They ship quickly.
- They might be a bit too simple for some people.
A Gilty Treasure Vintage Clear Rhinestone Dangle Clip-on Earrings
There’s something absolutely glamorous about clear rhinestones in jewelry. That’s why we were mightily excited about A Gilty Treasure Vintage Clear Rhinestone Dangle Clip-on Earrings. Dating back to the 1960s, these gorgeous dangling clip-on earrings feature the stud, the dangler, and the piece connecting them both. Three trapezoid-shaped stones make up the stud, with a line of small round stones connecting the stud to the end of the dangler, which is a large marquise-cut rhinestone with an open back. Plus, all stones are prong set in a silver-toned setting. Since the earrings were as long as three inches, they paired perfectly with an Etsy wedding guest dress we liked and even with some formal summer wedding dresses.
- Shipping is fast and free.
- The earrings have light vintage wear and are in good wearable condition.
- They’re perfect for glam.
- Since they’re a rare find, they’re expensive.
Trademark Antiques 14K Vintage Leaf Earrings
We’ve always loved nature-inspired jewelry as it’s versatile and goes with just about anything we wear. So, we embraced our autumn spirit with these absolutely stunning Trademark Antiques 14K Vintage Leaf Earrings. These vintage maple leaf clip-ons date back to the 1960s and feature a magnificent leaf design forged in 14K gold. Since it’s not bright gold but rather dull gold, we could pair the earrings with even casual ensembles. Thanks to the clip-on clasps, we could slip them on, take them off, and continue wearing them comfortably for a long time.
“We love changing earrings and these maple leaf vintage clip-ons are our favorite pair!”Dizzzi
- The earrings are vintage and in excellent condition.
- The earrings were packaged in individually packaged gift boxes.
- They’re comfortable.
- They might be too simple for some.
Waltz Darling Vintage Ben Amun Flower-Shaped Clip-on Earrings
We’ve always been huge fans of Egyptian-born jewelry designer Isaac Manevitz’s amazing collection aptly named Ben-Amun. The name draws inspiration from not just his eldest son but also one of Egypt’s most famous former kings, Tutankhamun. That’s what drew us to the Waltz Darling Vintage Ben Amun Flower-Shaped Clip-on Earrings. Flamboyance and glamour take on a new meaning with these floral earrings, which feature a design of two-layered flower petals. What’s more, the design is studded with marquise-shaped wine-redd and emerald green glass pieces, with a bright pink circular stone at the center. Aside from the mid-century style, we loved the comfortable clip-on closure. It made them not only easier to put on and take off but also to wear for a long time.
- The earrings are vintage from the 1980s and in great condition.
- They boast a clip-on closure.
- Shipping is quick.
- The style might be a bit too flamboyant for some people.
SUR Studio Chunky Gold Doorknocker Earrings
The SUR Studio Chunky Gold Doorknocker Earrings are one of the most versatile earrings we’ve ever seen. These Brutalist-style huggie hoop earrings come from the able stable of Maxine Denker jewelry, which is costume jewelry dating back to the 1980s. The gold-toned metal might not be to everyone’s liking, but the design is intriguing, highly abstract, and avant-garde. And since they were produced in limited collections, this piece is nothing less than a wearable piece of art. Rounding things up is the clip-on closure, which allowed us to wear these earrings for an entire day comfortably.
- These earrings are vintage and date back to the 1980s.
- They’re in excellent condition.
- We loved the avant-garde style and design of the earrings that pair well with all kinds of ensembles.
- The radical Brutalist style might not be to everyone’s suiting.
SUR Studio Filigree Vintage Hematite Dangler Earrings
The SUR Studio Filigree Vintage Hematite Dangler Earrings sit at the top of the list for more reasons than one. Firstly, the earrings are thoroughly vintage, dating back to the 1960s-70s. What’s more, they’re designed from silver-toned costume jewelry metal, with a filigree floral design for the stud and paisley designs all over. Moreover, they’re studded with a highly polished and stunning piece of hematite and crystals. We loved the dangler design, which was short enough to be comfortable and long enough to turn heads! The best bit? They came gift-wrapped in an organza bag – it was like a gift to ourselves!
- We loved the silver tone, with the hematite standing out.
- The design is vintage, and the earrings are in good condition.
- They’re very affordable.
How To Choose The Best Etsy Vintage Clip-on Earrings?
- Magnet: These have magnets at the back and the front with opposite polarity on either side of the earlobes.
- Friction Clips: These are similar to simple clips but come with friction hinge mechanisms. While they’re quite comfortable, they can’t be used for heavy or large earrings.
- Simple Clips: These U-shaped hinge clips slide over the ear lobes are adjusted to the correct tightness at the hinges.
- Paddle Back: These wide, paddle-shaped hinge clips are the commonest vintage closures and fold up to attach tightly to the earlobes.
- Screw Back: These must be screwed into place when wearing them, but they can be adjusted easily.
There are so many different kinds of vintage earrings out there. So, the important point is to choose one that aligns with one’s style and aesthetic preferences. Also, you should consider everything from the type of earrings (danglers, hoops, studs, etc.) to the shape and the overall vibe.
Last but not least, the size of the earrings is very important. While some people prefer larger dangler earrings, others prefer smaller ones. The important thing is to ensure that the earrings fit comfortably on your earrings.
Why are most vintage earrings clip-ons?
Since Victorian morals ruled the roost at the turn of the 20th century and even beyond, pierced earrings were considered unrefined and even crass. So, clip-on earrings became a popular fashion in polite society.
How can you tell how old a clip-on earring is?
The oldest closures were screw-back closures, followed by simple clip and paddle-back ones in the 1930s.
Do clip-on earrings stay on?
Yes, they’re also very lightweight and comfortable.
Some images in this article are copyrighted by Etsy.