Coffee tables are, unarguably, the most quintessential items of living room furniture, whether it was in the earlier era or now. In fact, vintage coffee tables are more than just furniture; they embody timelessness in history, craftsmanship, and design. Usually hailing from the middle of the 20th century, the options for an Etsy vintage coffee table aren’t just design trends but rather artistic expressions of nostalgia and character. What’s more, they infuse history into our spaces and range from simple designs to more intricate and ornate ones. In fact, coffee tables have been around since the 1700s, but in the Roaring ’20s, their legs got shorter and the tables became lower. This article explores the realm of such old-time coffee tables on Etsy, how to go about choosing them, and the best pieces available on the website.
Europa Vintage House 1950’s French Louis XVI Coffee Table
The Europa Vintage House 1950’s French Louis XVI Coffee Table takes us back centuries, elevating our living space with old-time elegance. This wonderfully handcrafted coffee table from the 1950s epitomizes the iconic Louis XVI style and is designed from sturdy beech wood. What’s more, a specialized team has re-finished the table with a new layer of gold leaf, including the hand-carved intricate branches and flower design. If that wasn’t enough, the table even has the original Italian marble top and is ready to use. Exuding timeless beauty, this coffee table has one for centuries.
“There’s something about Victorian-era furnishings that are simply iconic and timeless, and this coffee table was just the perfect addition to our home decor.”Dizzzi
- The table features the original Italian marble top from the ’50s.
- It’s sturdy and ready to be used.
- Aside from vintage charm, it’s elegant and sturdy.
- It’s very expensive.
Shabby French Vintage Footstool Tea Table
Since coffee tables before the 20th century were called tea tables, here’s one for the list: The Shabby French Vintage Footstool Tea Table. This delightful little octagonal tea table is a real piece of treasure and is quite low. That’s why it’s also called a footstool, but it works excellently as a coffee table in a room with low seating, like chaise lounges and poufs. It has a studded metal edge and four sturdy little legs. In fact, it even worked as a lovely little display table where we could showcase our favorite treasures, collectibles, and showpieces from our travels. If your house has Scandi interiors or shabby-chic interiors, then this stool table would go perfectly with it.
- The seller is very responsive, and the table came wrapped very protectively in a neat package.
- This extraordinary piece is in good condition.
- When it comes to Etsy unique coffee tables, this is one of them.
- Shipping charges are extra.
Retro Revival SRQ Vintage Lane Acclaim Series Coffee Table
Now here’s one of the most unique coffee tables we’ve seen – the Retro Revival SRQ Vintage Lane Acclaim Series Coffee Table. It went perfectly with our daybed decor in our den, which is where we’d hang out while sampling coffee from all over the world. So, it was natural for us to invest in this piece, whose top has been professionally restored by the seller. It’s one of the main selling points of the piece, as a matter of fact! What’s more, the table is in great vintage condition with very little wear and tear, which is consistent with its age. All in all, we were thrilled to have this restored midcentury-modern piece from the 1960s in our home.
- This unique coffee find is a rare find.
- It’s in great vintage condition.
- It goes perfectly in cozy areas of one’s home.
- Shipping, albeit a hassle-free affair, is extra.
- It’s expensive.
Entourage Finds Vintage Barley Twist Coffee Table
We’ve always been fascinated with barley twist furniture, which basically has spiral-turned trim or legs. In fact, it was also known as barley sugar as the design was akin to sticks of barley sugar used at the time. A lesser-known fact is that the twist was usually made from beech or walnut and not oak because it was difficult due to the brittle nature of the wood. That’s the reason we’ve included this gorgeous Entourage Finds Vintage Barley Twist Coffee Table. This lovely table is a vintage piece from the 1950s and is a unique find. What’s more, it’s in good vintage condition and just has a few expected signs of wear and tear.
- It’s a rare find and a unique coffee table.
- Since it’s made from beech, it’s durable, and the design is long-lasting.
- The item was very well-packaged.
- Since it’s a rare find, it’s expensive.
Future Antiques EU Paolo Piva-Style Coffee Table
How about a unique, slightly modern, yet vintage coffee table? Check out the Future Antiques EU Paolo Piva-Style Coffee Table. It might be newer in age than some of the other tables on this list, but is still vintage, dating back to the 1970s. It’s based on the popular and iconic Alanda coffee table, which famed Italian architect and designer ushered in the 1970s-80s. It’s what makes this coffee table a highly sought-after classic piece of furniture from an era where daring stylistic designs ruled the roost in architecture and interior design.
- The seller was very prompt with questions and the package arrived very safely.
- It’s a classic piece of furniture that redefined an era.
- It’s a modern-vintage piece of furniture.
- It’s very expensive; the most expensive on this list.
Jooovanka Picasso Guitar Tripod Coffee Table
Sitting at the top of this list is the Jooovanka Picasso Guitar Tripod Coffee Table. This piece is extremely rare and very unique and features the famous Pablo Picasso guitar painting on the top. Its origins are a mystery, though – it was made in the 1960s in France by an unknown artist, but that only adds to its vintage aura. The table features a painted top in riotous colors and three sturdy black metal legs. Considering its age, the table is in great vintage condition, with small traces of use. If you love experimenting with decor and dare to use it, this really special piece could be a very interesting addition to your living space.
- It’s a very interesting, rare, and unique vintage piece of furniture.
- It will make for a great addition to the decor.
- It’s in excellent condition.
How To Choose The Best Etsy Vintage Coffee Tables?
Vintage coffee tables have been around since at least the 20th century, but the older versions, which date back to the 1700s, are called “tea tables.” Here’s a lowdown on the different types of old-time coffee tables:
- Victorian: The era might predate the term “coffee table,” Victorian coffee tables have a ton of lovely embellishments, like hand paintings, ornate decorations, claw feet, and pedestal bases.
- Edwardian: The early 20th-century coffee tables often feature hand-painted designs, pierced/inlaid wood tops, and other decorations.
- Art Deco: The coffee tables from the 1920s-30s feature simple designs, lots of wood veneer, sleek geometric shapes, and contrasting wood colors. Some even have gold/brass-toned accents.
- Reclaimed: Reclaimed tables might not have initially been intended to be used as tables but have rather been transformed into them. These include everything from industrial equipment to coffee tables.
The sofas you’re pairing the coffee table with decide their depth. For instance, deeper or Peri coffee tables pair better with large L-shaped couches. Even round tables are a great idea to lay with and save space. For standard two/three-seater sofas, you’re better off choosing coffee tables with good enough surface area to use them well.
Usually, coffee tables are slightly lower than the sofa level, with the best height being around 5-10 cm lower than couch cushions. If your sofa is high, then go for coffee tables with glass tops and metal elements. The airy, light look balances out the living space well. On the other hand, low couches go better with textured coffee tables made from heavier materials.
Check out some more interesting best Etsy dining room wall decor.
What wood is best for a coffee table top?
While oak is the most traditional wood, maple is one of the hardest and classiest woods and is an excellent option for a durable coffee table.
How do I know what length of coffee table to buy?
Ideally, coffee tables should be about two-thirds the sofa’s length. Anything larger, and the room might appear unbalanced.
How thick should a coffee table top be?
Usually, wood with thicknesses between 0.75 to 1 inch is great for coffee tables.
Some images in this article are copyrighted by Etsy.